Welcome to Mescher Home Inspections
Congratulations! You've been shopping for a new home and you have selected the perfect house. Few things in life are as exciting as this life event. However, when making a large financial investment such as home ownership, it's important to know exactly what you may experience once the home is yours.
Having a professional home inspection from a leading home inspection company will give you peace of mind and assist you in a fair and smooth transaction.
Mescher Home Inspections, LLC was founded in 2013 to serve central Iowa home buyers and sellers. Although the company is fairly new, the experience and reputation that founder Nick Mescher provides is very well-established. Nick has 8 years and over 3,000 home inspections on his resume! He has worked hard to earn a great deal of respect and credibility from real estate agents throughout central Iowa, and he continues to serve home buyers and sellers as a professional, certified and knowledgeable home inspector.
Mescher Home Inspections is a full-service home inspection company. Services include but are not limited to:
- Existing Home Inspections
- New Construction Home Inspections
- One-Year Warranty Inspections For New Construction Homes
- State Certified Radon Measurement
- Mold Testing
Qualifications & CertificationsWhen it comes to your home, you want an expert! Someone who is professional, experienced, detailed and communicative. That's exactly who Nick Mescher is! Those qualities, in addition to the qualifications and certifications below, make Nick the preferred choice to complete your home inspection.
- Nick has performed over 3,000 home inspections in central Iowa since 2005.
- American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) Certified
- State of Iowa Radon Testing Certified
- Former General Manager of Iowa's largest home inspection franchise
- Former employee at Pella Window Corporation
- Bachelors of Science degree in Business/Accounting from Iowa State University
- Mescher Home Inspections is fully insured to protect our company and you, our client.
The Home Inspection Experience
At Mescher Home Inspections, we want to ensure our clients go into their inspection with the right expectations.
- Inspections typically last from 1 1/2 to 3 hours depending on the size and condition of the home.
- Clients are encouraged to be present during the inspection and may walk along and ask questions as the inspection is taking place.
- Clients will receive a detailed report containing the inspector's findings and recommendations.
- All reports contain photographs taken during the inspection.
- Our goal is to leave the home in the same or better condition as it was found.
- A continuous radon monitor can be placed at the home for an additional fee.
- Weather can interfere with the inspector's ability to inspect certain common items. Should this occur, the inspector can return to the home once conditions are normal to complete the inspection. Arrangements should be made by the client.
- Pricing varies according to the size, age and location of the home being inspected. Please call our office to obtain a quote.
- Inspection fees can be paid by credit card, check or cash. Credit cards accepted include Visa and MasterCard.
In general, the inspector is looking for fire, health and safety issues, along with anything that would be a major expense to either repair or replace. In addition, the inspector will be noting items that don't fall under the categories above but are more of a maintenance item (example is normal wear and tear).
We do not perform code-compliant inspections. What was code when the home was built is different from code today. Additionally, the seller is not required to bring the home to code in order to sell it.
400+ items are included in the inspection:
- roof, vents, flashings and trim; gutters and downspouts;
- skylight and other roof penetrations;
- decks, stoops, porches, walkways and railings;
- eaves, soffits and fascia;
- grading and drainage;
- basement, foundation and crawlspace;
- water penetration and foundation movement;
- heating system; cooling system;
- main water shut-off valve; water heating system;
- interior plumbing fixtures and faucets
- drainage sump pumps with accessible floats;
- electrical service line and meter box;
- main disconnect and service amperage;
- electrical panel(s), breakers and fuses;
- grounding and bonding; GFCIs and AFCIs;
- fireplace damper door and hearth;
- insulation and ventilation;
- garage doors, safety sensors and openers;
- and much more.
Why radon testing?
Radon is an odorless and tasteless gas that results from the breakdown of uranium in the soil. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer. Iowa has one of the highest average rates of radon in the United States.
Radon is measured in picocuries per liter, or pCi/L. The EPA has set a threshold of 4 pCi/L. They suggest fixing the home if the radon level is 4 pCi/L or higher The most common way to achieve this is through a radon mitigation system.
Mescher Home Inspections is equipped to perform radon testing using a continuous radon monitor. The radon monitor must sit in the home and conduct its measurements for 48 hours. We will then collect the monitor and report the findings to you via email.
It's true what they say...there is no better marketing than word-of-mouth. At Mescher Home Inspections, we take this very seriously. So go ask around! We're certain you will like what you hear.
Take a minute to read what our clients are saying about us.
Testimonials coming soon!